Saturday, December 29, 2012

Multiracial, Light-Skinned, And Proud in America: - Further Comment On "Who Is Black In America?"


by Evelyn F. Altheimer-Fain


After viewing many of the videos and reading many of the comments on various website about Soledad O'Brien’s “Who is Black in America?”, I have seen more of the same old negativity that cause so much distress among biracial (light-skinned) people in past decades. These videos and the comments have influence the following response. 
-----

Jealousy and resentment causes nothing and twisted perceptions. Biracial (light-skinned) people need to be more acceptance of WHO they are and love themselves AS they are and not allow comparisons from racists influence them. In addition, there are Black racists as well as White racists, and biracial people have always been their excuse and medium of abusive when their own self-doubts about whom they are and their place in the world arises


In the eyes of people like these, biracial people will always be too “uppity” and will never know their “place”. Old thinking for today, but as it persists on both ends of the color tree. Biracial people need to open their eyes and see what is really being sold to them when they are told (no matter how sweetly or rationally) to choose. They should also stop selling their heritage short. To suppress one part of their racial makeup is to say the part is “no good”. Is this true? I think not, or they would not exist. This denial of their whole heritage has causes nothing but hurt to the racial halves that are shunned to please the undeserving “others”.  This is not only bad thinking it is unhealthy thinking. Seriously, do biracial (light-skinned) people really feel that to be themselves they need the approval from people who are dishing out nothing more than racial bias?


What I am seeing here today is an attempt at brainwashing and I am not buying it. Moreover, as a light-skinned woman of sixty plus I can say, “Get off my back! Accept me or not, but stop labeling me. Stop trying to use my skin color as an excuse for your own insecurities. I will not dishonor one part of my racial heritage to gratify your bias views. If I make you uncomfortable, see a shrink, because I am not trying to make you comfortable with my SKIN.


 I AM BIRACIAL, LIGHT-SKINNED, AND PROUD!
---------


What is Widescreen Network News? Formerly The Constituent, this site is an informational website for some of today’s issues, such as consumer product alerts, health, education, & political views. This site also is for informing people of crimes in the community with the intent of preventing further crimes through awareness. This website is intended for readers 21 & over. It is not intended as a source of information for causing harm to others. THEREFORE, PARENTAL CONTROL IS STRONGLY ADVISED!