Thursday, March 16, 2006

A Little Nickel Bag - Conclusion

Hello Everyone,

Evelyn here,

Below is the conclusion to"A Little Nickel Bag" the Story of Doris. I have not written this narrative to exploit the sadness and death of an old friend.  I wrote it because I am genuinely upset by the rise in illegal drug use that is present in my area and so close to my home.  I truly hope this will be helpful in stopping someone from starting on Doris' tragic path or help someone who is on that path turn away from it.

***************

Near the end, I believed that Carl attempted to get her off the drugs, and another friend said that he told her that he would leave his wife and come back to her if she stopped using. Whether she believed him or not no one really knows because whatever he said or attempted to do to help did not make difference. Doris had become a true addict. She was driven to seek more and more of the drugs, and she paid less and less attention to her other needs and that of her children.

 

Time seemed to past by quickly but it was maybe another year but Doris worsened and finally died of an overdose. She was found dead with the three girls with her. She had been dead at least a day or more. Carl did get children in the end. When I heard the news of her death, I was shocked because she was so young and applauded because that truth about consequences drug addiction became a reality and no one a textbook read.

 

 Doris lost it all. All her dreams, her children, and the man she once fought in the street with another woman for. However, it was her addiction to illegal drugs that killed her in the end. To this day, I have never forgotten her. She dies not because Carl walked away from her, even tough he played a large part in her unhappiness. Doris paid an awful price for her drug use.

 

Today, that little nickel bag of the late 60’s might cost more now and I do not want to know, but the cost is a human life should still be priceless. The pullers do not see you, your family, my family, or me in the same light as we see each other. They only see green.

 

Since years since Doris death, I have worked as a nurse and sometimes with drug abusers and although their stories vary, their pain is similar.

 

Today, I am a former nurse, but the problem with illegal drugs and those who sell them and/or use them has only grown. From what I have seen, the sellers are younger and have less concern for the dangers they bring into their lives and their neighbors lives. 

 

The Doris’ of this world are never forgotten.

 

March 09, 2006

****************

 

I have changed the names of the people who were involved in this story to protect the innocence.

 

Below isa link to the Drug Action Network with has several other links that I feel might be helpful to people who have a problem with illegal drug sells in their neighborhoods.

 

http://drugactionnetwork.com/kids/

 

Update: Here is a link to The Florida Alliance for Drug Endangered Children (Florida DEC)

 

http://floridadec.org/

 

Evelyn out!

 

What is Widescreen Network News? Formerly The Constituent, this site is an informational website for some of today’s issues, such as consumer product alerts, health, education, & political views. This site also is for informing people of crimes in the community with the intent of preventing further crimes through awareness. This website is intended for readers 21 & over. It is not intended as a source of information for causing harm to others. THEREFORE, PARENTAL CONTROL IS STRONGLY ADVISED!