Saturday, April 1, 2006

Truth, Faith and Superstition

Hello,

Evelyn here,

with a little word on truth, faith and superstition.

 I am a believer that there are things that happen to people that has no rational and in many cases no acceptable explanation. I speak of things that could even today bare a label within the reams the unknown, the superstitious, the psyche, and the mystical. I also believe that in this 21st Century of ours that our initial lack to believe things that seems to fall in one of these medieval or barbaric reams is due to our modern religious beliefs, our fear of what we do not understand, our advancement in science, and our basic need for a ready answer for everything. 

This being the case, the above views has left our modern minds with a door that allows us to be unwilling to accept what is different. Nevertheless, when certain truisms are presented that strongly subject that something unexplainable is happening and we in turn react negatively with indifference, harassing behaviors or destructive acts, I tend to think that we have learned no more of ourselves as human beings than when we first crawled out of our Neolithic caves.

I have brought up this subject during this period of Lent because I have drawn some comparisons with certain events surrounding me that make me believe that I could strongly argue the case of Jesus and the age old question of how, if he were to make himself known today, he would be received and treated in our times.

My reflection on this is simple and I am sure other people have come to the same conclusion as me, which is that are those among us who are sufficiently different enough for whatever reason that we instintly, shun, fear, harass, and if not successful, try to kill or destroy.

Do I sound too harsh? I could be more thorough in my examples, but all a person needs do is to think on those actions and people they may have taken for granted or may have mistreated, misjudged or otherwise hurt at some point in the past. Then place Jesus in that person stead. If we are then honest with ourselves, we would come to see ourselves as Jesus’ persecutors, and after seeing ourselves in this light, a great shame would spread within us.

 What does this have to do with my introductory statement? For those who know something of me. Everything!

Are you paying attention?

Evelyn out.

 

What is Widescreen Network News? Formerly The Constituent, this site is an informational website for some of today’s issues, such as consumer product alerts, health, education, & political views. This site also is for informing people of crimes in the community with the intent of preventing further crimes through awareness. This website is intended for readers 21 & over. It is not intended as a source of information for causing harm to others. THEREFORE, PARENTAL CONTROL IS STRONGLY ADVISED!